Lori's Nursing Necklaces and more!

Nursing Breastfeeding necklaces: custom-made by a work at home Mom, for more than seven years. The only nursing necklace tested by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission.I only use beads made in the US. Great necklace for twiddling/pinching and distractable breastfed babies. Est 2001

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Nursing Necklaces inspired by: A medieval day of reconciliation, Mardi Gras, and Italy

Sometimes, I am asked to create necklace from certain information. Those are by FAR the most difficult ones, but also the most rewarding to create. Here are a few:


I haven't a clear idea of what I would like for the necklace but here
are a few (helpful I hope) pieces of information:

DD2 is called Loveday which is a medieval name given to children born on
a "loveday" or day of reconciliation and dispute settlement. It's more or
less confined to Cornwall in the South West of England now, and is also used
sometimes by Quaker families as there was a famous woman in the 17th
Century who took the Quaker message round the south west and her name was
Loveday. We are Quakers! I like classic rather than cute things.




This one came straight from the sense of medieval royality and chivalry. Purple was the color of royalty and no one else could wear it, so I knew I had to use purple, the green is for the fields, dark blue for the skies in England, and gold for the riches of the castles.

********

I would like to order a nursing necklace from you and I live in New Orleans, any ideas?

I found this description of the Madri Gras colors:
The traditional colors of Mardi Gras are purple (symbolic of justice), green (symbolic of faith) and gold (symbolic of power). The accepted story behind the original selection of these colors originates from 1872 when the Grand Duke Alexis Romanoff of Russia visited New Orleans. It is said that the Grand Duke came to the city in pursuit of an actress named Lydia Thompson. During his stay, he was given the honor of selecting the official Mardi Gras colors by the Krewe of Rex...thus, did these colors also become the colors of the House of Romanoff. The 1892 Rex Parade theme ("Symbolism of Colors") first gave meaning to the representation of the official Mardi Gras colors. Interestingly, the colors of Mardi Gras influenced the choice of school colors for the Lousiana arch-rival colleges, Louisiana State University and Tulane University. Whe LSU was deciding on its colors, the stores in New Orleans had stocked-up on fabrics of purple, green and gold for the upcoming Mardi Gras Season. LSU, opting for purple and gold, bought a large quantity of the available cloth. Tulane purchased much of the only remaining color...green (Tulane's colors are green and white).



********
Hi Lori!
I'd like to order one more nursing necklace! My aunt just had a baby and she is nursing so I'd like to surprise her with one. She lives in Italy (military) so you can send it to me and I'll get it to her. Your necklaces are so wonderful. I've been showing Jimmy's off to all my family and friends, and have given your name and website to several moms.

I knew the national sport was soccer and the colors of the Italian flag were red, green and white.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home